How to Pay Tax Bills
This site may also be used to view or print 2017-2020 tax receipts. Further instructions are below and on the bill payment site.
All payments will be processed and deposited immediately. Please ensure you have sufficient funds available to avoid any penalties.
New in 2021
Revisions in Waste Collection Fee (WCF) billing
- WCF bills now appear on your Property Tax Bill as a separate fee of $90 per unit. This will save taxpayers approximately $75k annually on mailing, printing and processing costs.
- The City eliminated the $50 late fee per unit for 2020 and all future WCF bills. Late fees have been reduced to a maximum annual penalty of 14%, or $12.60 per unit (4% in February, and 1% for each additional month beginning in February 2021).
- All remaining unpaid 2019 ($140 per unit) and 2020 ($90 per unit) WCF bills are also on 2021 property tax bills without additional late charges. (Unpaid 2019 WCF bills have already been charged the $50 late fee per unit; unpaid 2020 WCF bills were not charged this late fee.)
Exemptions WCF bills were not placed on 2021 tax bills of property owners who were known to be exempt in 2020. However, if you are billed for a WCF for which you feel you are exempt, email us at or 518-434-5035 to receive an exemption application.
2021 Installment Payments
All taxpayers now have the option to pay property tax bills in two installments.
The first installment must be made on or before February 1 (February 8 for eligible seniors). The payment dates are usually January 31 and February 6 (for eligible seniors) but both days fall on a weekend in 2021 so taxpayers have extra time to pay. The second installment can be made at any time during the year. (Installment payment must be paid by check or cash: Installment option is not available for online payment.)
Make all checks or money orders payable to: City of Albany.
City of Albany
P.O. Box 1878
Albany, NY 12201
- Please include bill number, signature and date
- Include interest and penalties if paying after the due date
- Check box on receiver's stub and return entire bill to receive a receipt
- Payment date is based on USPS Postmark (not postage meter mark)
Make online payments (of full payments only; NOT for installment payments), view and/or print tax bills.
- Credit card payments are only accepted online only, fees apply ($.25 cent fee, plus 1.95% of the total payment)
- Make a payment directly from your checking account for a $.50 cent fee
Online payments may not be reflected for up to five business days.
Pay In Person
- City Treasurer's Office
24 Eagle Street
Albany, NY 12207
- Office Hours:
Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 5 pm January 28, 29 and February 1 until 6 pm. DUE TO COVID HOURS MAY BE REDUCED, CALL FIRST TO VERIFY THAT THE OFFICE IS OPEN.
Senior Citizen Exemptions
Senior Citizen Exemption Only:
- First Installment payable on or before February 8, 2021
- Second Installment payable on or before July 31 (includes 9% interest if paid in July)
Contact the City Assessor's Office at 518-434-5155 for information on exemptions.