Anyone interested in ordering a certified copy of a birth certificate during this time should either place their order online or email Vital Statistics. If you are a funeral director and require immediate assistance please call 518-434-5045.
**UPDATED COVID-19 OPERATIONS as of NOVEMBER 2020**
Currently, Vital Statistics is operating by appointment only as there are limited in-person transactions. If you have an urgent request and require an appointment with our office please call us at 518-434-5045 or email the office. Appointment Hours: 9am– 12pm and 1pm – 4pm.
Vital Statistics provides birth and death records for those events that occur in the City of Albany. Our records begin with September 1, 1870 and all records are maintained under guidelines and requirements of the New York State Department of Health.
The Registrar and other employees of Vital Statistics, in providing accurate and legal documents, deal with:
- Funeral homes
- Social services agencies and others
The office also makes documented corrections to certificates, can issue various certificates upon proof of entitlement under New York State (NYS) Public Health law and also issues burial and disposition permits. Individuals needing copies of any of these certificates can obtain them by coming to City Hall and presenting the proper identification.
- $15.00 per copy for birth records
- $10.00 per copy for death records
- $22.00 for each genealogy record
Birth and death records are NOT public records and their confidentiality is protected by New York State Public Health Law. Vital Records are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are not subject to public inspection.
- NYS Department of Health Vital Records, for those events occurring in the rest of New York State.
- NYC Department of Health Vital Records, for those events occurring in New York City, NY.
- US Birth and Death Records for those events occurring in other states.